Winter is upon us and it can create havoc with your skin. Long hot showers, forced indoor heat, cold air and wind are all demons when it comes to keeping skin healthy.
“In winter, humidity is always lower in the cold air, and when it gets breezy, that dry air wicks moisture out of the skin even quicker than normal. Then we go inside to get warm, and the heat on inside dries us out too. We can’t win: so we try getting in a hot, steamy shower to get a little moisture, and don’t realize that the water itself actually takes water out of us by osmosis,” explains Dr. Jessica Krant, a board-certified dermatologist and Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. “Not only that, the heat and water strip our natural moisturizing oils out of our skin. Then we get out of the shower, and that last bit of dampness evaporating away dries us out even more.”
Here are 6 simple tips to combat the winter effect!
1) Cut the shower length (we have to do this in California anyway, due to our severe drought!). Slather on body oils while you are still wet upon getting out of the shower. Think “lid on a steamer”, to trap moisture and leave skin silky. Also, turn down the temperature a bit.
2) Slough dry skin once or twice a week to banish flaky skin cells. This will reveal fresh, ready to moisturize skin (try TerraNova’s Tiare Lei Buffing Body Wash–a gentle 2 in 1 cleansing scrub).
3) A thick cream traps moisture better than a thinner lotion. Use cream regularly on your hand and feet inside your gloves and socks (before you but on the boots!)
4) Don’t go fat free! Rich oils and butters such as sunflower, almond, Shea butter, argan, marula, baobab, grape seed, coconut, evening primrose are high in nutrients and help moisturize the skin!
5) Fragrances such as perfume oils and alcohol free body mists do not contain alcohol which can dry skin. (TerraNova’s Rain and Pikake Body Mists are actually moisturizing!) When using cologne, spray on pulse points and a bit in your hair for targeted application.
6) Drink water–ALWAYS! Get healthy from the inside out!
check out www.storeterranovabody.com for great more great products to protect your skin!