How hard can it be? You find a lotion or moisturizer that smells heavenly and you slather it on when your skin feels dry…right? Wrong! The truth is you may not be getting all of the benefits out of your lotions if you aren’t applying them right.
Applying your moisturizer correctly, boosts skin hydration, prevents flaking and dullness, and creates a protective layer of moisture that lasts all day. Plus, proper application will help the ingredients of your lotion work better — yielding better results! Here’s some tips to make sure you’re getting the most our of your moisturizer:
- Avoid hot showers as they will dry skin out further and cause you to have to use more lotion! Instead, use lukewarm water and try not to stay in the water too long. If you’re a bath person, we suggest adding a bath & body oil to the water to prevent drying out your skin.
- Apply lotion on damp skin (not wet), preferably after a shower or bath. Lotion is absorbed into the skin much better. Skin will be smoother and stay hydrated much longer than applying it randomly during the day.
- To get the most out of your lotions, exfoliate your skin first. Use a gentle scrub (we suggest Terranova’s Tiare Lei’s Buffing Body Wash with Bamboo & Coffee) to slough away dead skin and then apply small amounts of lotion afterwards.
- What’s the weather like? If it’s sunny, you can probably get away with a light weight, hydrating lotion. However if it’s freezing out, you would be better off using a thicker, more hydrating body butter or cream to protect the skin.
- Consistency is key! Using lotion every once in a while won’t give you the smooth, soft, hydrated skin you desire. However, using it every morning or night when you get out of the bath or shower will produce positive results.
We hope these tips will allow you to get more our of your moisturizer! Got some tips of your own? Please share! And, while you’re here, be sure to check out our “Love the Skin You’re In” Event and save 10% on Terranova‘s entire line of skin nourishing lotions, creams & body butters today!