This month, we have been exploring some of the unique ingredients that make Terranova Bath & Body natural formulations fabulous! This week we explore monoi oil, which is an infused perfume-oil made from soaking the petals of Tahitian gardenias (best known as Tiaré flowers) in coconut oil.1
Historically monoi has been used by The Polynesians for medicinal, cosmetic and religious purposes.1 At birth, The Polynesians used monoi on infants to keep them from dehydrating in hot weather and from getting chilled in cooler temperatures.1 When a person died, The Polynesians embalmed and perfumed the body with manoi to help in their journey to the afterlife.1 And Polynesian navigators used manoi to protect their bodies from cold, harsh winds and salt water during dives or long canoe expeditions.1
Monoi oil is rich in methyl salicylate, which is a natural skin-soothing agent that helps rehydrate the skin and shield against external damage from the elements (i.e. sun, wind, salt, etc.).1 Here are some of the most common uses for monoi:
- After a shower or bath to rehydrate skin.
- Before or after a swim to protection against the effects of sun, wind, sea or chlorine in pools.
- As a hot oil treatment or conditioning treatment for hair.
- During a bath to help encourage relaxation while keeping skin soft & mildly fragrant.
- As a tanning oil to promote a deeper, darker tan.
- Massaging aches and pains.
- As a pain reliever for sunburn.
To experience the amazing benefits of this miracle oil, try the following monoi oil infused products from Terranova’s Tiare Lei Collection:
- Tiare Lei Buffing Body Wash
- Tiare Lei Cream Soap
- Tiare Lei Petal Soft Lotion
- Tiare Lei Silky Body Oil
1 “Monoi Oil” – Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoi_oil