Like clothing, more and more people are buying fragrances online without trying them mainly because you can get a wider selection and more affordable price than you can at the department store and, sometimes, you may be miles away from a department store.
So, the question arises, “How do I choose a fragrance, when I can’t smell them?” Here are some other tips to make your selection less like throwing darts at a dart board in the dark:
- Do Your Homework – Like every smart online purchase, do your research to make an informed decision. We recommend making a list of fragrances you have worn in the past and use resources like Fragrantica.com and Basenotes.net to research what notes were featured in those fragrances as inspiration for your future purchase.2
- Know Your Notes – No this does not pertain to reading music! In general, there are 4 main themes for notes: floral, fresh, woodsy, and oriental.1
Floral – Notes from (you guessed it) flowers (like Terranova’s Island Escapes Collection of tropical florals)!
Fresh – Notes that are simple, elegant and clean (like Terranova’s Signature Collection of fresh, clean fragrances).
Woodsy – Notes that are outdoorsy and sophisticated (like Terranova’s Patchouli with patchouli essential oil).
Oriental – Notes that are big and bold (like Terranova’s China Musk with notes of vanilla spice).
- Price Does Not Matter – No, we’re not saying that you should mortgage your house for your next fragrance purchase. In fact, we’re saying quite the contrary! Price is not an indicator of quality when choosing a fragrance. A fragrance that is inexpensive doesn’t necessarily indicate a fragrance will be bad and an expensive fragrance doesn’t necessarily mean it will be good.
- What’s In a Name – You can often get an indication of the character of fragrance by what words are used to describe it. Words like “cool, clean, fresh, light” are all words that indicate intensity. A fragrance description with these words would indicate a less-intense fragrance that can be worn during the day-time or is more suitable for someone who doesn’t like “heavier” or “stronger” fragrances.
Color Coding – Often times the packaging and color of the fragrance can be an indicator of how it will smell. Here are some common colors and their coding:2
Blue/Green = Fresh (like Terranova’s Rain)
Pink = Floral (like Terranova’s Tuberose)
Yellows/Orange = Spicy/Citrus (like Terranova’s Shea Blossom)
Gold/Brown = Deep/Rich/Woodsy (like Terranova’s Patchouli)
- Stick to What You Know – If you like a particular brand, sometimes it’s best to stick with that brand. Many perfume manufacturers, have a signature note or accord in their formulas. If, for instance, you like one fragrance from a particular company, chances are, you’ll like some of their others. Terranova, for instance, mainly focuses on fragrances with fresh, clean, floral accords. If you are a long time fan of Terranova’s China Rain, you will probably find our Aire Fragrance Collection appealing.2
Have some tips for picking out the perfect fragrance online? Feel free to share them with us here!
1 “How to Buy Perfume Online Without Smelling It First ,” Alexandra Duron, StyleCaster http://stylecaster.com/beauty-high/buy-perfume-online/
2 “How to Buy Fragrance Online Without Smelling It ,” Lee Kynaston, Fashionbeans http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/buy-fragrance-online-without-smelling-it/