In a few short weeks it will be Thanksgiving. As we prepare our shopping lists and get ready to spend time with family and friends, one of the things you may not be thinking about is how many traditional Thanksgiving Day feast favorites can actually improve your skin. This week, we’re talking nuts…namely walnuts!
According to Stephanie Clarke and Willow Jarosh, Registered Dietitians and co-owners of C&J Nutrition in Manhattan, “Walnuts offer up healthy Omega-3 fats that strengthen the membranes of your skin cells, locking in moisture and nutrients that keep it plump and glowing and keeping out toxins that can damage skin cells. The nourishing fats in walnuts attract moisture from the air, soothing dry skin. These healthy fats may also reduce skin inflammation (meaning less breakouts!) and play a role in protecting the skin against harmful UV rays.”1 In addition, walnuts (namely walnut shells), as in Terranova’s Buffing Body Wash with bamboo & coffee, provide an excellent gentle exfoliant for dry, dull, winter skin.
In appreciation of all the wonderful things walnuts provide our skin, here’s a Terranova favorite that your skin and taste-buds will thank you for!
Apple Walnut Stuffing (Food.com):
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped red baking apple
- 1 cup chopped green cooking apple
- 2 cups soft bread cubes or 2 cups whole wheat bread cubes, toasted
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons dried whole-leaf sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and celery, and cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Combine apples, bread cubes, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in vegetable mixture, egg, and remaining ingredients.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 11x7x1 1/2-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
- Yield: 6 servings (4 1/2 cups).
1.) "Beautiful Skin Superfood: Walnuts," Self, by Beauty News, http://www.self.com/flash/beauty-blog/2011/03/beautiful-skin-superfood-walnu/