American Express’ Small Business Saturday is on November 26th and provides an excellent way to kick of the officially holiday shopping season for your small retail establishment or business! Contrary to popular belief, you do no not have to accept American Express at your business to be a part of this event or cash in on the benefits.
To help you take advantage of consumers’ growing desire to help their communities thrive by supporting local small businesses, here are a few tips on how to take advantage of this important shopping day, create excitement, and get customers inside your doors spending money for the holidays!
- Sign up on the Small Business Saturday website by November 11th to receive FREE, custom downloadable marketing materials for your social media, website, and storefront! Let your customers know about your Small Business Saturday events by making a special sign for your windows and in your store, ahead of time. Use social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.) to invite your followers, let them know of the specials you will be offering, and encourage them to share with their friends and family.
- Offer one day discounts on a specific category (like bath & body or fragrance) or on all merchandise in your store.
- Create coupons for future offers or discounts and include them in the bag with each customer’s purchase.
Offer free gift wrapping service or offer pre-wrapped gifts to make their holidays a little easier.
- Give away prizes or host a contest. For instance, put together a beautiful gift basket of your favorite TerraNova products, and have customers fill out their contact info and email address to enter to win. It’s a great way to add to your customer email marketing list and increase sales, not only for the holidays, but throughout the year!
- Provide a free gift with purchase. We recommend giving away items that are relatively inexpensive and items that let customers sample something that they can purchase at your store later if they fall in love with it. Another idea would be to offer something more significant when they purchase a certain item (i.e.receive a free full size TerraNova Petal Soft Lotion with your full size TerraNova Perfume Essence or Cologne Mist purchase).
Whatever you do, make sure you make a big impression on Small Business Saturday (i.e purchase helium balloons, place a board outside your business, offer cupcakes and tea) anything you can do to draw their attention and get customers to come in and make purchase!
Also, many downtown associations are offering special events on Small Business Saturday and Black Friday, i.e. free parking, sidewalk sales, etc. Be sure to check with your local Chamber of Commerce or downtown association.
TerraNova wishes you BIG success for your SMALL Business Saturday! Go forth and prosper!